Family First Prevention Services Act QRTP Court Oversight Workgroup
QRTP Toolkit Timeline: Below is a timeline of the QRTP Toolkit’s implementation. Please note these dates may be subject to change.
- Early February – The draft of the judicial toolkit will be completed.
- Before February 25, 2021 – Feedback will be requested from the workgroup and stakeholders.
- February 25, 2021 – The Workgroup will approve the toolkit draft.
- February 25, 2021 – The workgroup will create subcommittees for the development of training strategies and materials for court personnel and attorneys.
- March 3, 2021 – The Subcommittee on Responding to Child Abuse, Neglect, and Dependency (CAND) will review and approve the draft toolkit.
- March 3, 2021 – The draft toolkit will be sent to the Advisory Committee on Children and Families for review and approval via electronic vote.
- March 17, 2021 – The draft toolkit will be reviewed by the Supreme Court of Ohio’s legal counsel.
- Early April 2021 – Internal approval process of the toolkit will be completed.
- April 2021 – Approved draft of the toolkit will be sent to the Supreme Court of Ohio’s Public Information Office for design and production.
- July 2021 – Live training sessions will be conducted via webinar for court personnel and attorneys. Sessions will be recorded and available on the Supreme Court of Ohio website.
- Summer, 2021 – Information regarding recorded training will be communicated to attorneys and also bar and judicial associations.
An initial QRTP Court Oversight workgroup under the Family First Prevention Services Leadership committee was formed to work toward recommendation’s related to QRTP placements, recommendations to address court hearings versus administrative review, recommendations for training courts, and definitions related to permanency hearing and cost. The finalized recommendations were presented to the FFPSA Leadership committee in July of 2019. One of the recommendations included the creation of a CAND workgroup to continue the QRTP Court Oversight work. The workgroup’s efforts will compliment the work of Ohio’s FFPSA Leadership Council.
The CAND FFPSA QRTP Court Oversight workgroup held its first meeting on February 5, 2020 to begin developing a plan to address the court’s role in the FFPSA-prescribed QRTP approval process. This workgroup, led by Judge Denise Cubbon, Lucas County Juvenile Court, is comprised of members from ODJFS leadership, ODJFS technical assistance, PCSA leadership, Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services, probation, and juvenile and family court judges and magistrates.
During its first meeting, the workgroup first conducted an extensive review of the court-related QRTP requirements. These include the court’s required review and approval or disapproval of a QRTP placement after 60 days in placement, based upon the independent evaluated required within 30 days of placement. The courts are also required to conduct subsequent reviews of the QRTP after the initial review.
During this meeting, the workgroup identified three phases of work: (1) identification of Ohio Revised Code and Ohio Administrative Code changes to comport with FFPSA QRTP court oversight; (2) creation of a judicial toolkit to assist judicial officers with the requirements described above; and (3) an educational component for both judicial officers and attorneys.
After the first full workgroup meeting, a sub-workgroup made up of the attorneys and judicial officers in the group met to review and identify a list of potentially impacted statutes and rules.
The workgroup’s second meeting was held on April 29, 2020. The group reviewed ORC/OAC sections potentially impacted by FFPSA QRTP court oversight requirements, discussed the development of a judicial toolkit, shared updates from previously assigned work, and identified research projects to inform the group’s future work.
The workgroup met again on May 29, 2020. After reviewing updates in Ohio’s FFPSA implementation progress, the meeting focused on a review of extensive research, including approved/pending FFPSA plans from other states and juvenile competency and bind over hearing procedure, both to help inform recommendations related to QRTP-required hearings. The group also engaged in discussions about QRTP assessments and placements and continued plans for the judicial toolkit.
During the July 31, 2020 meeting, the workgroup continued development of the judicial toolkit and bench guide and continued discussion of QRTP hearing and assessment-related questions.